Event Commission Chair
About the Federation of International Touch
The Federation of International Touch (FIT) purpose is to facilitate and nurture the development of Touch globally by working closely with Member Associations and key stakeholders.
FIT activities provide international pathways for Member Associations (players, coaches, referees, selectors, administrators and volunteers) and also facilitate the holding of quality international events, the availability of resources and the delivery of development programs.
FIT undertakes its activities in accordance with the objects, powers, requirements and proceedings as described in the FIT Constitution 2011 (the Constitution), and with a commitment to high levels of ethics and integrity.
The FIT Constitution states the composition of the Board shall comprise of seven members: the President, Secretary General, and Finance Director; and two Directors who shall be elected under Rule 29; and two Directors who may be appointed under Rule 30. The current Board composition and governance structure can be found at the Federation website. In addition to their governance and operational responsibilities as a Board member, each Director is responsible for leading a specific portfolio area and undertaking the role of Regional representative or correspondent.
Primary Objectives of the Position
The Event Commission Chair plays a lead role in facilitating/leading FIT events, including FIT World Cups or Club Championships, and regionally controlled International Championships.
The position works closely with Member Associations (National Touch Associations (NTAs)) by providing expert advice, and facilitating networking opportunities to share ideas and experiences. The Event Commission Chair also works in close collaboration with NTA Event managers to ensure the most up to date methods of staging events are utilised.
The Event Commission Chair is responsible for:
- Setting global standards for:
- Event education programs.
- Event competencies.
- Event assessments.
- Event performance and appointments.
- Making recommendations to the FIT Board regarding event proposals (including requests for the sanction of FIT endorsed Test matches and FIT Event Classification), education programs, and seminars for NTAs.
The position of FIT Event Commission Chair is a voluntary position.
Length of Term
The Event Commission Chair shall be appointed from the date of appointment to one month after the next election of Board members at the World Cup (approximately four year cycle). In the event that the FIT Board does not appoint an Event Commission Chair prior to the expiry of the individual term of appointment, the FIT Event Commission Chair may continue in office past the expiry date of appointment to maintain continuity of service until the FIT Board makes new appointments.
Appointments made during the four year cycle and between Annual General Meetings will conclude as per the timeframe detailed above.
Meetings and Time Commitment
The Event Commission Chair may be required to spend an estimated 10 hours per month carrying out the position and undertaking responsibilities, however this may vary subject to particular activities, events and tournaments that may occur from time to time.
Annual activities and time commitment include the following.
- Commission Meetings are conducted on an as needs basis and vary in duration (dependant on agenda and/or issues).
- Estimate 3-6 Commission Meetings per annum of 2-3 hours duration via video conference.
- Preparation time of 1-2 hours for each Commission meeting.
Meetings with the Sport Development Director
- Video conference and face to face
- 3-6 Meetings per annum of 1-2 hours duration (dependent on agenda).
Attendance at FIT World Cup Event and possible attendance at Regional Championships
- 7 days is required to attend each event with appropriate planning and preparation time to be considered in the lead up to the event, subject to FIT Board approval.
Developmental and educational activities
- Time commitment is based on the scope and requirements of the specific activity involved, and in some cases, may involve significant hours for the development and delivery of new or redesigned programs.
The Event Commission Chair will be required to travel internationally.
Expenses incurred through undertaking the responsibilities of the position are subject to reimbursement and/or payment by FIT in accordance with FIT Financial Policies.
Key Position Relationships
Internal relationships include:
- The Event Commission Chair reports to the Sport Development Director.
- FIT Board members, Sub-committees and Commissions.
External relationships include:
- FIT Member Associations and potential Member Associations.
- Partners and potential partners (e.g. SportAccord, OSFO, International Sport Federation, etc.).
- Professional Associations (eg International Council for Coaching Excellence, World Academy of Sport).
- Sponsors and potential sponsors.
- Funding providers.
As defined in the FIT Delegations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide expert advice and mentoring in event management ensuring activities reflect a commitment to best practice and ongoing improvement.
- Develop FIT event education resources and provide education programs through courses, seminars and other activities.
- Identify and endorse suitably qualified and experienced personnel to help deliver event education programs and development.
- Conduct surveys with member NTA’s to identify, develop and enhance global standards in event management.
- Provide networking opportunities for NTA’s to share ideas, experiences and initiatives for their ongoing development in event management.
- Manage requests from NTAs for event proposals (including requests for the sanction of FIT endorsed Test matches and FIT Event Classification), education programs, seminars for NTAs, and make recommendations to the Sport Development Director.
- Coordinate FIT Event Commission Member visits and expected outcomes with NTAs.
- Prepare and present to the Board Host Nation Agreements related to FIT Touch World Championships.
- Develop and maintain the FIT Event Calendar that details all International events and NTA National and regional events.
- Manage historical FIT event information by maintaining a FIT Event Historical Register that records the details and results of all international events and NTA national and regional events.
- Work in close collaboration across the various FIT portfolios and Commissions in delivering and/or facilitating event management at the regional/national and/or international level.
- Ensure the Event Commission meets its organisational obligations through effectively managing its governance and operational activities.
- Work with the Event Commission members to prepare written reports for submission to the FIT Board as necessary and as requested post the completion of International events and visits.
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with NTAs with a focus on supporting members in building their event management capacity.
- Act as primary spokesperson for FIT in relation to FIT endorsed events and activities.
- Actively support the organisation to maintain positive and productive relationships with members, media and other organisations.
- Ensure informed decision-making is underpinned by high levels of ethics and integrity, and be committed to promoting responsible behaviours within the sport of Touch
- Perform all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the FIT Code of Behaviour Policy and FIT Member Protection Policy.
- Perform other responsibilities as may be assigned by the Board and Sport Development Director.
Qualifications and Other Requirements
- There are no mandatory qualifications.
- Experience in event management at a regional/national/international level within a sporting environment is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Attributes
- Knowledge of event management and demonstrated experience in leading and facilitating major regional/national/international events in a sporting environment.
- Experience in developing, delivering and/or facilitating event management related courses, programs, seminars, and forums at a regional/national and/or international level.
- Proven strategic leadership and management skills in the delivery of outcomes consistent with strategic frameworks and business strategies.
- Proven ability to lead and motivate teams and work collaboratively with other FIT Board and Commission members in a constructive, challenging and supportive manner.
- High level communication, negotiation and influencing skills with the ability to engage ad represent FIT effectively to members and a range of stakeholders, including NTA Event Managers, coaches, players and officials, at a national and international level.
- Proven ability to prepare detailed and complex briefing papers and reports on behalf of the Sport Development Portfolio and the FIT Board.
- Proven ability to manage under pressure, meet deadlines, effectively manage stakeholder expectations, and to manage sensitive and complex activities objectively.
- Ability to be a critical and innovative thinker with strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Possess a strong commitment to high levels of ethics and integrity, and to promoting a sporting environment that is safe, fair and inclusive for everyone involved in the sport of Touch.
- Pre-appointment screening, including criminal history and discipline history checks, and where appropriate, working with children checks, may be undertaken on persons recommended for appointment.
- In accordance with the FIT Member Protection Policy persons recommended for appointment will be required to complete the Member Protection Declaration.
- In accordance with the FIT Volunteer Policy persons recommended for appointment will be required to complete the Volunteer Agreement.
- In accordance with the FIT Conflict of Interest Policy persons recommended for appointment will be required to complete the Declaration of Private Interests.
Enquiries regarding this Position Description are to be directed to the FIT Sport Development Director.
This document has been authorised by: